Dr Natarajan Suresh Khanna
MBBS (Madras), MRCS Edin (Surg), M.Med (Surg) (NUS), FRCS Edin (Surg), FAMS (Surg)
Consultant General Surgeon
Visiting Consultant at SKS Hospital, Anna Nagar, Chennai
Assistant Prof. at Saveetha Medical College, Chennai
Dr. Natarajan Suresh Khanna or “Dr. Suresh” as he is simply called (or even sometimes as “Dr. NSK”) is a specialist consultant in general surgery.
He moved to Singapore in 2013 to work in the Hepato-pancreato-biliary (HPB) service, Department of Surgery, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. Subsequently he was selected for the ACGME-i accredited General Surgery training in the NHG Residency Program in July 2014. He was awarded M.Med Surgery by the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2018.
During his residency training in Singapore, he received the Young Investigator Award for Clinical Research in 2017. He and his team won first place and a trophy and medal in the International Golden Scalpel Games conducted by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) in 2019. He secured the ABSITE exam top score award among senior residents in 2021. Dr. Suresh was awarded the FRCS Edinburgh and was accredited by the Specialist Accreditation Board (SAB) of Singapore Medical Council (SMC) in January 2022. He is also a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore since 2022.
Qualifications and Awards
Ohers in limited capacity – French, Telugu, Malayalam
Review analysis of Medullary carcinoma thyroid: 15-year Indian experience, Journal of Indian Medical Association. (2005)
Carcinosarcoma of the Breast – A very rare case report, Med-ej. (2011)
Comparative analysis of Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment (EPSiT) and non-EPSiT therapies for treatment of Pilonidal disease in an Asian patient cohort, Singapore Med J. (2016)
Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment: the first report of mid- to long-term results in an Asian population cohort, Singapore Med J. (2016)
Marginal ulcer perforation: a single center experience, Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. (2016)
Gastrointestinal manifestation of disseminated histoplasmosis in a non-endemic region, ANZ J Surg. (2017)
The Complex Relationship between Mesenteric Panniculitis and Malignancy: A Holistic approach is still needed to understand the diagnostic uncertainties, Cureus. (2019)
Hemosuccus pancreatitis due to a ruptured splenic artery pseudoaneurysm – diagnosis and endovascular management, Radiology Case. (2020)
Photo Quiz: A Bedbound 71-year-old Singaporean male Nursing Home Resident with an Ulcerating Perianal Mass. Clin Infect Dis. (2021)
Honors and Awards:
• Merit Certificate in Rama Rao Gold Medal exam 2001 – Anatomy
• Merit Certificate in Chandra Mohan Prize exam 2001 – Anatomy
• Merit Certificate in the Inter-Collegiate Hematology Quiz at the Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai, India
• An Aggregate score of 70% in the Medical school Final exams, which is among the top 1% of students
• Editor – College Newsletter.
• Short-Term Research Student Scholar, The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), which is equivalent to the Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
POST-GRADUATION/ RESIDENCY (INDIA):
• Third place – National Surgical Quiz, Prof. Hanumaiah Memorial CME 2011; Karnataka State chapter, the Association of Surgeons of India at Bangalore Medical College, India
• B. Braun Medical Trust Foundation Scholar 2010 (Best Outstanding General Surgery residents in India)
• Bharat Jyoti Award 2011, Dr. Bhishma Narain Singh, Former Governor of Assam & Tamil Nadu at New Delhi, India
• Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education (EISE) workshops by Johnson & Johnson in (2009 – 2012), India: Proximation, Hernia, Vascular suturing & Anastomosis
• Binay Tara Foundation Trust, USA – Medical Research Grant 2010.
ACGME-I ACCREDITED RESIDENCY (SINGAPORE):
• Singapore Young Investigator Award – Clinical Research, Bronze medal (Oct 2017)
• da Vinci Surgical System – online Robot training certificate (Jul-Aug 2018)
• Clinical Practice Improvement Program (CPIP) project: To reduce the rate of General Surgery First Visit (FV) defaulters referred from Emergency Department (ED) to Clinic 2A
• International Golden Scalpel Games Trophy & Medal (1st place as a team); Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) in May 2019
• ABSITE exam Top Score Award: Outstanding performance as Senior Resident (R5) in the American Board of Surgery Examination Year 2021